View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Quiltsbyval

There are different kinds of thread and not all of them can or should be used on a sewing machine. Some threads are for hand sewing only. Some threads are for embroidery only. The other funny thing about thread is there are different sizes of thread. Each different size of thread uses a specific needle size. I am on my iPad right now and I dont have access to my thread guides but I am sure you could look them up. The thread size will be noted in the 'weight' of the thread like 30,40,50 weight and the needle sizes are like 12,14,16. You will have to look up what weight thread goes with what size needle. Also there are different kinds of needles to use such as univeral or sharps or ball point or wing tipped. There are many other types of needles but those are first ones that came to mind For quilting I would recommend a sharps or universal. Different kinds of needle for different kinds of fabrics. If the needle is too small for the weight of the thread then it could break. If the needle is too big it could cause the thread to fray. If the thread is dry then it could become brittle and break. You place your thread in the fridge or freezer for an hour before sewing and will keep it from being brittle. And the difference between hand sewing thread and machine sewing thread is the direction the thread is twisted. Hand sewing thread is twisted the opposite direction so it runs through the machine it will actually unravel. There are a lot of things that could cause the thread to break but since you are new I thought this info might help.