Old 03-04-2012, 06:28 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by MistyK View Post
Would a Singer 301 be worth $175. A lady is getting rid of some of her stuff. It is dirty but the wheel seems to turn smoothly and the needle part seems to work well? I have heard that they are pretty good machines and am now getting where I want to invest in one. I really don't want a new one. Is there anything I should look out for? I thought I had a machine before, but it didn't pan out and I don't know much about them so I would appreciate knowing if there are pitfalls. I hope I am posting this in the right place. Thanks. Weather here is awful and I don't want to be online too much.
Misty, you posted in the right place. There are several people on this board who own and love the 301 - me included, but I don't think anyone paid that much for their machines. People can ask anything they want, but the machines usually don't sell. I see them listed on our Craigslist sometimes for outrages prices, but again they don't sell. I have bought machines off of Craigslist after watching for a few weeks for 1/2 of what the original asking price was and even less than 1/2. If you really want a 301, make an offer! I love my 301 by the way, but like Miriam said there are lot of really nice vintage machines out there - sometimes you can get one for practically nothing or free! Have you tried Thrift stores, yard sales, estate sales, flea markets? I would not pay $175 for the machine, especially a dirty machine - offer less!Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 03-04-2012 at 06:32 AM.