Old 03-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Alu_Rathbone

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
I LOVE Thangles and Triangulations - I just got my Lady of the Lake (all HST's) back from the longarmer for basting and that top was pieced entirely from Triangulations. Most of my points ended up where they needed to be and it's technically the best quilt I've made so far. I'm tickled pink with it, even though it's still full of little boo-boos.

I really, really, really LOVE the paper foundations for HST's. One of my next projects is another made of all 2" finished HST's, and I ordered the Laundry Basket papers for that top because I could only get 12 HST blocks per sheet of paper in the Triangulations - I would have had to print at least 192 sheets.

There are 28 blocks on a sheet of LBQ paper - you use two 6" x 21" strips of fabric - roughly a third of a fat quarter.

One of the best things about Triangulations is that you'd be hard-pressed to find a size that isn't included on the CD. Thangles has a fair selection, but it might be missing the exact size you need. LBQ papers are new, from what I can tell, and she only has two sizes, so far. But really, if I needed to make a lot of HST's (as I do with this quilt) I would think about amending my pattern and going with one of the two sizes she has!

The next best thing about any of the paper foundations is that your blocks are stabilized - sew on the lines and cut on the lines and your seam will lie on the diagonal points and all the blocks will be the same size. No bias to fight.

If your blocks are made precisely, the quilt top stands a better chance of being square and flat and even, too.

Here's my next baby - I call it "Cherry Cordials" and the block name is Swing in the Center. 2304 HST's, 36 per 12" block, and the quilt is 113" square.

Of the bottom picture, what method are you using? I really would like to make a quilt block of that, if that is okay with you.