Old 03-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Charlee

Originally Posted by MistyK View Post
Thanks for the direction. I have a lot of reading to do. One good thing is that even if I don't get this one, there is always another one out there. Mama always said He's not the only fish in the sea, and I always thought I was chasing a boy. I am sure I will be asking more questions along the line. One stumper that I have now comes from the comment: She does not have you taking apart a machine completely all at once. WHY would ANYONE take a machine completely apart to clean it? That makes NO sense to me. Sorry I am just flabbergasted that anyone would do it. Well going to start getting an education. Thanks.
Misty, there are so many nice machines out there...with a couple of exceptions, (my Featherweight and my newest treadle) I have not paid more than $100 for a machine, and those I did pay that much for were treadles (Singer 9W, AG Mason New Florence, and my W&W 8) My electric machines have all been $30 or less....(got one for $5!!)

Watch your local Craig's List. Most of the machines there are over priced, but you can often find a deal, and there's no harm in offering less than the asking price... decide on your budget and stick to it. Look at the Goodwill stores, thrift shops, etc. I picked up my Singer 201-2 at a thrift shop for $15, because it needed a cord. That cost me another $10. Take a fabric scrap and thread with you and ask to test the machine before you buy it. Even if the machine doesn't make a perfect stitch, it's often just a question of adjusting the tension. If you're new to sewing, a manual that comes with the machine is a bonus, altho most of us can help you find one online to print out.

One of the members posted a tutorial that promoted tearing a machine down completely to refurb it...something that just isn't necessary to have a machine that runs well.