View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 10:43 AM
thepolyparrot

I guess I kind of go against the grain - it's probably my OCD tendencies. I think that some "rules" exist for good reason - following them gives you a nicer, longer-wearing finished product than other methods. Quilting can "un-square" a quilt and ruffle your borders. A bias-cut double binding can help you get those edges to lie flat and it will wear better than any other type. And gosh - I have enough trouble keeping the quilting away from the very edge of the quilt without having to worry about sewing into the binding, too.

I think whether you're painting or sculpting or sewing or quilting, if you learn to do things the "right" way - the way that's proven to give you the finest results - then you will have the skills to make a high-quality product. As you work more with the different methods, you learn which ones work best for you and which rules you can safely dispense with and how to substitute your own methods.

I wouldn't listen to the "quilt police" kind of hyper-critical "I'm-know-better-than-you-do" type of comments. But as with anything else in life, if people with a lot more experience than I have in some particular skill want to offer comments about what has worked best for them, I'm glad to listen and absorb their experience.