Old 03-04-2012, 10:49 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MistyK View Post
Thanks for the direction. I have a lot of reading to do. One good thing is that even if I don't get this one, there is always another one out there. Mama always said He's not the only fish in the sea, and I always thought I was chasing a boy. I am sure I will be asking more questions along the line. One stumper that I have now comes from the comment: She does not have you taking apart a machine completely all at once. WHY would ANYONE take a machine completely apart to clean it? That makes NO sense to me. Sorry I am just flabbergasted that anyone would do it. Well going to start getting an education. Thanks.
I think if you totally dis-assemble it is probably because you plan to have the machine painted. There is a tutorial someone put on QB to completely dis-assemble a machine. It is very hard to completely dis-assemble then put it back together a month or months later. If I dis-assemble anything, I take it apart and ASAP get it back together - one thing at a time, whether a tension or a bobbin area. I hate it when I lose screws. Good idea to keep a magnet around or a muffin tin to put things in some kind of order. It is not necessary to soak a machine in a bath of kerosene just to get dried oil off the machine. A soak in kerosene won't do that much for rust either. Some machines do have a good bit of dried on oil or 'varnish' it does not necessarily all have to be removed. The machine will run just fine with that 'varnish' on it. What has to be cleaned is the MOVING parts of the machine. To move freely they can not have rust or dried on oil. Usually it is dried on oil that keeps the machine from running. A couple squirts with Tri-flow may solve the problem. Rust needs a rust remover and then a thorough clean up - a tin can of kerosene can and a brush can wash anything extra off and give it a coating. You can also use a solvent to clean off dried oil. A solvent however will damage paint and plastic on contact. Protect your machine with something before you try that. A solvent also has deadly fumes - use it out doors on a windy day - protect yourself. You may not feel anything from the fumes but the fumes can damage your immune system. Ask me how I know that. If you use a solvent use only a few drops at a time - you don't really have much oil in those joints and it will evaporate pretty fast. I always try to turn the machine as I work.