View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

I used to use a basting gun. There are different qualities. If you go this route, be sure to get one with a fine needle and small plastic thingies. I can check mine and post the brand if you need it (I think it's Avery fine needle).

It is much easier to spray baste than to use a basting gun, though, plus I get better results with spray basting. I would encourage you to focus on spray basting. If you don't have access to a large table, it's pretty easy and inexpensive to purchase a couple of plastic sawhorses and a piece of plywood at a big box hardware store. This can be set up in the driveway and easily taken down and stored in a garage when not in use. I would also recommend buying 4 of the largest, best clamps at the hardware store (I paid about $5 each for 3-inch plastic clamps with an easy on-off trigger) to use with this setup. I also recommend paying a few bucks so you can use 505 instead of other brands of spray basters. 505 has never let me down. On a very large quilt I may place safety pins around the border to ensure the layers don't separate there; otherwise I don't bother.

Another thing you can do to prevent tucks, no matter what basting method you use, is to heavily starch the backing fabric before layering. I use a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" this onto the yardage using a large wall painting brush until fabric is saturated, toss in dryer, then iron with steam. I also spray starch the top before layering. Starch stabilizes the fabrics so they are much less likely to stretch and distort while machine quilting.