View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 12:35 PM
thepolyparrot

The first one I bought fell apart. The second one, an Avery brand with a fine needle and tags is a GEM! I've used it for many quilts and haven't even had to change the needle yet.

I don't punch straight down and fire, though. I go into the top at an almost-level oblique angle, pick up the backing fabric and come back up and then fire, so that both ends of the tag are on the top of the quilt. I use a Kwik Klip tool to brace the needle tip and push the fabric as far onto the needle as it will go.

It's my favorite method of basting. I will never use spray basting again. If there is any poly in your batting or fabric, the propellants can react with the poly and will remain sticky enough to gum up your needle. Gummed needles = skipped stitches. I had one vintage scrappy that I ended up throwing away because I could NOT stitch more than an inch before I needed to clean the needle. I have used 505, June Tailor, Sullivans and EmbTech sprays and since I didn't keep track of which ones have caused trouble, but ALL of them say not to use them on polyester, so they have probably all got the same problem. Lots of people use them and love them, but they've been frustrating enough for me that I'm willing to use ANY other method to baste than sprays.

When I run low on the fine tags for the Avery gun, I will buy the MicroStitch brand - people who have tried both apparently find the MicroStitch even nicer to work with.