Old 03-04-2012, 09:01 PM
vintagemotif

Last weekend, I cleaned up the National machine titled "The Eldredge", and this weekend I got her to stitch.
If my memory is correct, this machine should use a different needle than the standard 15x1, but I was able to use a 15x1 needle in the machine. I just slip the needle down a bit until it picked up the shuttle thread to produce a stitch.

I still say the machine has lost its soul. When starting to treadle the machine makes a groan and a clunking sound, like something is rubbing. When I look at all the parts that I can see, I can find where the sound is coming from. After I get into the groove of treadling, the machine acts beautiful with no sounds but the shuttle in the race moving back and forth. It is only the initial turn of the wheel that the clunking and groan is heard.

I plan to just bring the machine head to the up coming TOGA gathering in Turlock in hopes that someone else my know what is happening. It could just be a case of old age for this sad gal, along with the fact that the machine hasn't been used in decades (my bones would ache and groan too).

Cathy, can you please tell me what is the correct needle for this National.