Thread: Ugly quilts
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Vanuatu Jill

Originally Posted by Sadiemae View Post
I have one!!! I finished the top and put it away so I wouldn't have to think about it. Funny thing is that a young girl loved it and I just gag when I look at it. Too dark and not enough contrast for me, maybe it will help if I ever get it quilted---then I could put it back side up.
Well, I actually started hand-quilting it (it was a queen size!) and stuck it away 1/2 done so I could start on another-which, actually turned out beautiful-maybe because someone else picked out the fabric!! Then 10 years later, after not picking up a needle or even thinking about quilting, (they were made in a class taught as a fundraiser at the little school my kids were in-really wasn't interested in quilting then), I found that UGLY quilt and decided I needed something relaxing to do, so I borrowed a couple betweens and got out my one spool of old hand-quilting thread and actually finished it!! It NEVER helped it look better, but my son, who was about 10 at the time, loved it and used it to death (the housegirl washing it about every 2 weeks and hanging it to dry in the sun didn't help it's life-cycle!). Ok, description-it was bright pink solid 12"squares, with tiny roses on black alternating, and a chain alternating those two fabrics. Then the backing, was make with that black with tiny red roses. Can't remember the pattern, but it was an easy pattern-sort of like a basic Irish Chain. In my defense, it was in Vanuatu, and hot having any shops there to buy good fabric, I had to buy what limited cheap Chinese fabric I could get. The second one that turned out great, a quilt shop in Australia picked out the fabric in the colors I wanted for the particular pattern we were making, and sent it over. Good fabric makes such a difference. My piecing was always pretty good, and so was the hand-quilting.