Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Mizkaki

Candace,

I was referring to the Japanese class 15 machines that Joe is in working on. The Singer 301 is a completely different animal. The timing and hook clearance on the 301 is adjusted by loosening two set screws and moving the hook. The 301 does get out of adjustment.

Cathy

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
A good percentage of the vintage straight stitch machines I have had timing issues. One was completely out of time and the others could sew a straight stitch, but the moment I FMQ'd had skipped stitches which is a sign of the timing not being perfect. All of the 301's I've purchased have needed timing adjustment and were too far away from the hook. We need to remember that factory settings after 50 years have probably been played with by service techs and or those playing with the machines that don't necessarily know what they're doing. My 301's now FMQ beautifully, but it took me some time to figure out what the problem was and correct it. I even had one 301 that was missing a hook screw that made it go out of time every occasion I used it.