Old 03-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Mizkaki

Candace,

Timing by definition is most anything that affects the stitching. Things like the timing of the hook to the needle, the distance of the hook to the needle, the needlebar height, the movement of the fabric by the feeddogs in relationship to the movement of the needle.
I think possibly at times we all are talking about different things. I was talking to Joe about needle to hook timing (which in the case of some machines is not adjustable) and needlebar height (which is usually adjustable).

I have certainly had to time machines. If you servey old time sewing machine repairmen they will tell you that
hook timing is very seldom off. All of the other things I listed should be considered first. And also always consider that a bad/ bent/ dull needle is to blame.

Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"
Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I've also received a White(straight stitch), 4 Singer 301's, a Morse, Pfaff and Singer 319 that had the timing out of whack. I must be a magnet because I've seen a lot of timing problems with machines I've repaired.