View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 09:25 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Well Miriam and Joe, I didn't have to use anything but sewing machine oil to un-stick the Electra. I soaked her with sewing machine oil for 4 days. I kept trying to turn her wheel with no luck until last night. Last night I got the wheel to make a half turn. Today when I tried, I did a whole very slow and stiff turn. I oiled again, set her in the sun and tonight she is fully funtional! I haven't threaded her yet to see if she sews, but I have no reason to think she wouldn't sew! It amazes me how stuck that machine was from just neglect. No rust. Just dried up oil, or probably no oil was ever applied to her!

Nanchy
Yup it doesn't take much to get them moving does it? The dried up oil can dissolve and there she goes! I bet the sunbath didn't hurt one little bit. I did that with a Bernina. Put it in the car for a while on a hot day. It moved nice and free until it got cold. At least I knew it would move. Then I kept at the oil - you want to wipe off excess oil... just keep it in the joints. Some times it helps to turn the machine different directions so the oil will flow into those joints.