Old 03-06-2012, 05:12 AM
alleyoop1

I have the Bernina quilt frame. I use it with my regular sewing machine. The quilting area is very small - approx. 4" to 5" wide because the take up rail gets wider as you roll the quilt on to it. It runs around $1800 - I think. Please, before you buy a quilt frame, make up your mind if you will ever have the $$ to buy a long arm quilting machine because they are all made differently and will not fit all frames. Gammill is proprietary and only fits on their frame. BabyLoc comes as a package deal - machine and frame. Some long arms will fit the Bernina frame - some will not. So I am having a problem finding a long arm for my frame unless I buy a Bernina 800 series machine - which is sooooo expensive!!!!
Check out the Grace Company for frames. They make the Bernina frame. They also have wooden frames and many sizes and come in all different prices. Also, if you are handy or have a handy spouse, there are plans online to make your own frame. Do a google search for long arm quilting frames and you will see lots of options. Good luck.