Old 03-06-2012, 07:09 AM
J Miller

I couldn't get back on yesterday, none of the pages would load past the index.

Anyway the Edison had several problems when I got it. I was referred to the Singer 15-91 manual several months ago by Ed (LAMX) over on the Sewing Forum and that is what I used to fix what I have.

FAST REARWARD BACK IN TIME 3 MONTHS AGO:

A: The first thing I tried to fix was the feed dogs. They were hitting the front edge of the slot in the needle plate. I followed the instructions on the Singer book and found the Edison was not built like the Singer when it came to adjusting the feed dogs. I did find a point of adjustment and adjusted them so they do not hit the needle plate now.
What I noticed yesterday when it was sewing is that the material bounces back and forth as it feeds. It's not feeding smoothly.

B: When the presser foot was raised, the needle clamp hit it. (Never seen this before) The interference was severe enough to cause a visual deflection of the pressure foot.
Using info I can't find right now to refer to, I adjusted the presser foot and the needle bar.
They are better now, no interference fit, but I'm not sure just how "right" they are.
I do not see any of the little "timing marks" on the needle bar like the Singer manual says is there. They are either too high up or not there.

BACK TO NOW:
It would not sew for me the last time. I've learned a lot about needles in the last three months so there is a very good chance the needle that was in the machine was wrong in some way. Or damaged or bent. I didn't check it with a loop. Now that it is sewing I'm going to work with the tension and see if I can get it to cooperate.

One thing I did notice and adjusted is the presser foot was toed in and the needle was rubbing on the inside of the big toe. I reset that.

I'll let you know what my results are after I've worked on it for a while.

Joe