Thread: Ugly quilts
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 08:08 AM
w7sue

Lynn - The cynic in me often wondered about dropping off quilts to be "delivered". Not anymore. I donate to a group in Pacific City, Oregon that makes quilts for a place called the Caring Cabin. It is a beautiful home that families who are dealing with cancer can come to for several days for a break from everyday life. Each cancer patient is allowed to pick a quilt to take home with them.

I like to donate four or five quilts a year to the group, but always make sure it is a quilt worthy of giving to my very best friend. I want them to have a beautiful quilt, not something I just threw together. I had to pay to have them longarm quilted, but it was worth it to me so it would look its very best. Now, I own a longarm (very new to it) and the group sends me quilts to longarm for them so I can get more practice. I don't charge them anything and each quilts looks better than the last.

Some quilts that I have put together that I thought were pretty ugly have been snatched up by family members and loved for many years - one made from orphan blocks that had absolutely nothing in common went to Minnesota with my niece when she moved. I couldn't believe she chose it out of all the "beautiful" quilts that were there. Another was from blocks that I had won - none of them were the same size, some were pretty poorly constructed. I fought with it for a couple of months trying to make it work right, finally gave up and just put it together - my son loved it - everyone has a different view of beautiful - thank goodness!