Old 03-06-2012, 03:52 PM
LucyInTheSky

Default ?s on how to stop the dye from running in fabric strips

I bought a few jelly rolls of hand dyed fabric at the Tucson quilt show in January (the "bright color wheel" - aren't they gorgeous?? http://www.joysfabrics.com/handdyed.html). I'm getting ready to sew them into strata for a bargello. As I was ironing the strips, I sprayed all of the folds to iron the crease out of them. For the pink fabric, just the one spray was enough to leave pink dye on my ironing board. So now I'm wondering what to do, since I feel like it would make sense to deal with this now rather than after it's a finished quilt

I was thinking of soaking the pink strips in the sink. I wasn't sure if I should soak them with anything (vinegar, Retayne, etc). I wasn't sure about hot/cold water or how long, if I should let them set or if I should agitate them, etc. I know I don't want to be too rough since they're strips and I don't want them to start fraying. Also, should I do this to all of the fabrics? The pink was the only one to leave a mark on my ironing board, and it was only 1 of the 3 pink strips.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!