Old 01-16-2008, 06:14 AM
jbsstrawberry

I've been sitting at a sewing machine for as long as I can remember. My mom started me very young on her old black one direction (no reverse stitich) singer. My oldest daughter, never had the urge to sew. My soon to be 7 year old I started at age 5 with hand sewing, she has her own little chain stitch machine that doesn't work very well so she's getting my first little mini-singer that I got when I was her age. My 4 year old, when she wants to hand sew I have some plastic needles (they have a little ball looking thing instead of a point, and are over sized) that we found at hobby lobby with the needle work kits in the kids section. I use a paper punch to put holes in fabric that she can use yarn to "sew" with. Usually she uses them to string beads on yarn though. I agree with the other ladies, if she has an interest she's old enough to give it a go. Very closely supervised of course. If after she tries the first few times, you don't feel she's ready for the sewing machine, show her how to hand sew, still supervised with the needle of course. I found it easier for my little one to start with a bigger needle, like a darner, with a big eye at first; then move her down gradually as she gets better and more confident.