View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 07:33 AM
Tartan
Power Poster

If you going to draw out your design to do yourself, look through some quilting motifs to get some ideas. Once you get a shape you want fold a scrap piece of paper in half and try cutting out one half of your design and open up the paper and see if you like it. I sometimes have better luck cutting the outline of a shape than drawing it.
Once you have the shape to be quilted, there are a number of ways to stitch it. You can use the Golden Thread paper to draw your design on and machine stitch throught the paper. The paper is carefully pulled off when you are done. Some people use tissue paper in the same method. A pounced design would work well to quilt too. Put a large eye needle without thread in it and outline stitch the design on a large sheet of paper. This can be the template to use your pounce with. For designs I only want to do once, I have marked the design on Glad Press & Seal and stitched through it. You do have to carefully work on pulling it off when you are done and I've never used this method on black because it would be hard to see the marks. You can also use the peal and stick shelf liner plastic (mac tac) to cut out your designs, place them on the quilt top and stitch around the edge. This works best on simple outline designs. This is just a few of your choices if you are going to do it yourself.