View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Katmom

Been wanting to cut lots of strips fro my scraps and some fabric I want to use in donated quilts that may be 1 yard lengths or so with my new AccuQuilt to have on hand for future scrap quilts. Took some 1/2 yard pieces and placed on a laundry dryer where I could place the fabrics over the wires to dry after spraying so I could do several pieces outside t a time and let them air dry since our weather has been clear and nice (Alameda, CA) the past few days. Does anyone see a problem with starching my fabrics this way instead of pacing the fabric flat on ironing board and letting dry thre? Ironing board not that big so would take a while to starch 1 yard pieces t a time and want to cut several at a time since but cutter can do 6 layers of fabric in one swipe. Once they have dried I press,then cut down to needed widths for accuquilt die pass through. Does anyone see a problem with fabric hanging to dry (like we used to do with sheets, etc per dryer days) versus laying flat? Otherwise would need to lay on a tarp on lawn then possible flip sides over! Trying to make myself some "kits" so when I want to sew without a planned quilt in mid I can just grab some precut strips and quickly get some charity strips sewn. Next ? will be best way to store. I think starching helps stop fraying when strips are of looser woven fabric too. These strips are all quilt store quality fabric but some seem to fray quicker than others due to how tightly they were woven by manufacturer, etc. Like making strips of my scrap batiks as they are made from Pima cotton I think or cotton has a much tighter weave then printed type usually. Sorry for long post!