Thread: Ugly quilts
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 01:26 PM
margecam52

Now, how did you spy the quilt I have on my longarm right now? I used to say I've never seen an ugly quilt...well, I take it back!
Someone (I know who, but she shall remain unnamed)..took bright red and royal purple and made 4 patches (ok, not bad...they can go ok together). Then they took the royal purple and mixed it with a thin (sheer almost & not cotton) hawaiian print with yellow, lime green, hot pink & black on a purple background...and made half square triangles...with the print arranged to look like a square on point in the center of each block. I can even live with that... get ready...then they put a 3-1/2" bright yellow border...and I can almost live with that...but the 5-1/2" bright green border...holy smokes that's just not cutting it! I'm to the last row of blocks...just secured the bottom border..and two of the blocks in the last row are 1/2" to 3/4" larger than the others.
The quilt measured square (well pretty darn close)..but I sure didn't count on these last two blocks!
I've got the blocks quilted...but the quilt is not what I wanted it to be...I started with freehand ferns & swirls in the top border...half circles and teardrops across the yellow border...thinking I was gonna make this quilt blend some...so the green has a denser pattern that I intended for the center. I decided to use the same design in the center of the quilt (on the blocks)...in a random pattern...then when I rolled the first row...the ugly thin fabric...was showing in dots on the back...I had to pull the entire section. I am so annoyed...I am putting a big swirl in each of the 6" blocks & that's it... I'll finish the borders...as I've fudged in the too big blocks as much as I can...and be done with this one. UGH..I'll post a pic later. Oh, forgot...the backing...bright red & the bobbin thread is rainbows..yep, glad this is for a family member...easier to shrug it off. I'm doing 15 quilts for her..this is the 6th in the group & the first I couldn't do anything for.

Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie View Post
Ok so I'm guilty of looking but did you know they have forums with posts of ugly quilts. Some don't belong and thank heaven I had a great teacher so I never made a weird or wonky quilt. Wow just had to share because I thought there was no such thing but.....at least I can learn from other mistakes. There's even a contest.....