Old 03-07-2012, 05:27 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Sorry about interrupting the Mowgli discussion, but this is an official request for help

Meet my EDISON,

He has several problems. First was the feed dogs hit the front side of the needle plate. I adjusted that so it doesn't happen, but either I caused another problem, or it was there but I didn't know it. I suspect it was there as when he was put in reverse he banged and clunked horribly. Now he only does that if I hold the stitch lever down.

When the stitch lever is lowered all the way to the bottom for maximum length stitches, the feed regulator (T2, Figs 30 and 32 ) in the 15-91 service manual is in the way of the cam next to it.
The arrow points to the interference point in the following pictures:

The cam smacks the sliding part of the regulator moving it out of the way.
In the first pic you can just barely see that the forward edge of the sliding part T2 has been beveled. I don't know if this is OEM or was done after the machine left the factory. If you look at the screws it's easy to see that some ham fisted bubba has been inside this thing.
Here's a front view:

And a bottom view:

This particular machine is closer to the Singer 15-91 than my other one so I suppose the instructions in the manual will work. But, I am not experienced enough to really understand all the ins and outs of what I'm reading.

So ~ I need some help. Just specifically what do I adjust to cure the interference problem and make sure the feed dogs are right too.

Joe
makes you wonder if someone dropped the machine on the balance wheel or something. Maybe read the bit 'never force it get a bigger hammer' during a repair. I believe I have one with a problem in that same area - I've kind of been going back and forth trying to decide if it is a parts machine or something that can be revived - meanwhile it is on the shelf waiting for it's moment I guess.... sure does turn nice.