Old 03-07-2012, 05:56 PM
J Miller

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
I would just make it a parts machine or have it sit on shelf looking pretty- but that's me. Too many other interesting machines to play and sew with. Sorry I'm no help.
Well, I've told these stories before, but let me tell you again. I was given a 99K that was rusted tight. I stripped it of all it's useable parts as I oiled it and cleaned it and finally broke it loose. Now I've got 99% of the parts cleaned and oiled and I'm down to giving it a kerosene flush bath and replacing three parts. I've removed all the parts I donated to other machines and returned them to Rusty, replacing them with new. When I'm finished it will be a functional machine again. I bought a 66-18 from Goodwill auction. It arrived with a busted motor, their fault, and a broken needle take-up lever. I didn't see this in the auction pics. I took it to my LSMG who sold me a 66-4 for parts. Well, I acquired the parts to fix both the 66-18 and the 66-4. I bought a 66-4 Treadle that had been electrified decades ago. The motor was gone, but the light, wiring block, and foot controller were there. The wiring was so brittle it was falling apart like raw spaghetti. I worked on replacing the missing parts to the treadle and even rewired the cord block, light and foot controller. During the acquisition of the replacement parts I found another treadle on CL that had a broken stand. Turns out the machine is a 9W-7. I cleaned the machine and tested it, works beautiful. And when the weather turns I'll get to the cabinet. So you see, I just can't part one out if it's at all fixable. I'm the same way with guns and cars and antique fans. I'm pushing 60. If I've learned anything in my life, it's patience. I'll get it figured out. If not now, then later. Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 03-07-2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: spelling and text formation