Old 03-08-2012, 06:08 AM
Greenheron

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
I sew for a children's hospice and we get tons of fabric donated. Same with the quilts for the YWCA, and the DHS quilts! We often send fabric to other groups we get so much. BUT this is quilt/sewing country and when grandma passes, her fabric gets donated! WE don't mind though. We even have groups that take t-shirt knits, double knits, you name it!
When we still had a garment factory in town, double knit pants fabric and lighter weight shirt knit cut-aways were available by the pound at an amazingly cheap price. Double knit quilts and tied comforters graced many clothes lines. These things wore like IRON. I made a couple myself. The point is, these made attractive, durable and very warm coverings. I would use this for charity quilts, if still available, for the qualities of warmth and longevity and not because the fabric was inexpensive.

I shop thrifts for fabric for my own use--what's wrong with using the beautiful L.L. Bean, 100% shower curtain or the 100% cotton tablecloth for charity?