Old 03-08-2012, 08:34 AM
Gabrielle's Mimi

One thing I always ask my students in class is this: If you've spent several thousand dollars on a machine, a hundred dollars on fabric for this quilt, $25 for the class, etc. then please don't try to save money on the thread....how much are you actually saving? Cheapo thread is linty and can clog up your machine. Bob Purcell, owner/president of Superior Thread, has spoken several times locally. He recommends Bottom Line (60 weight, 3 ply) for BOTH top and bobbin. That's all I use now, bought in the large spools for better price. Bottom Line is extremely helpful in getting quarter inch seams, which can be more difficult when using heavier weight threads. Look for 3 play as it is stronger than 2 ply, and long-staple is stronger than short-staple. When I am out of Bottom Line I have used So Fine (50 wt.) and have had good luck with that as well. One thing I have noticed: some machines are finicky about thread. Go with what works best with your particular machine. One last note: Bob Purcell recommended that when using different thread top and bobbin, do not use thread with more than a 20 wt. difference. In other words, if using 30 wt. top thread, do not try to use 60 wt. bobbin thread as you with have stitch quality issues. Use 30 and 50 as your maximum difference. My feeling is, buy the huge spool of Bottom Line to save money, get a thread stand (or use a coffee mug or mayo jar) and use that top and bobbin.

Last edited by Gabrielle's Mimi; 03-08-2012 at 08:41 AM.