Old 08-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Lisanne

Originally Posted by jbud2
My husband just mentioned the other day he liked the zuchini casserole my mother used to make. It might have been called rat - tat - toullie? It had zuchinnie, tomatoes, and other stuff in it? Can anyone translate that into a real recipe?? LOL!!!
Lots of variations for ratatouille, lots of recipes for it on the web. I have all the ingredients and have been planning to make one - preferably before my eggplant goes bad on me.

Ratatouille is a French dish, and it's all veggies. It's a heart-healthy, diet-friendly dish if you're sparing with the oil. It's unbelieveably good if you don't spare the oil. ; )

My Version (if you have The Vegetarian Epicure, it has a scrumptious but rich version)

1 large eggplant
1 zucchini
1 yellow pepper
1 green pepper (and/or 1 red pepper or other colors)
1 large white or purple onion
2 tomatoes (regular or Roma)
olive oil
garlic
salt
pepper
basil
parsley
thyme

1. Slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch thick rounds.
2. (You can skip this step if it's going to stop you from making the dish.) Salt each round well on both sides and place in a single layer on paper towels for half an hour. Then wipe away the moisture.
3. Slice or chop all vegetables into chunks or bite-size pieces as desired. Slice your eggplant rounds into strips.
4. You can just roast all the veggies, or saute/stirfry or put in a pot with some tomato paste (which makes it taste Italian, IMO) and cover and simmer for half an hour.