View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 11:27 AM
BellaBoo
Power Poster

My guild meets one day a month for the guild meeting. One day a month for community projects and one day month for open sewing. We meet in the morning and have all day. Our officers meet once a year to set the budget. If there are other issues it's usually at the meetings the officers discuss it. We have nearby quilt shops come vend every so often. It's very informal but the President follows Robert's Rule of sorts. We are registered as non profit so the guild can receive grants for our charity projects. When I joined this guild it was mostly elderly members that would not change anything. Spending a dollar from the treasure would put most of them in swoon. They actually thought paying $25 for a guest speaker was generous. The guild made several thousand dollars a year by raffling a quilt. And all that money was just sitting there not being used. Their reasoning was save for a rainy day.?
We had a program every meeting. Usually a workshop how to make a handsewn project, very boring. I was President for two years (no one else wanted the job) and brought in many new younger members that have voted in change. We have about 30 members and gave the new program person a big budget. We are looking forward to having better programs to draw in more new members. Guilds that want to thrive, have to stay interesting and current and accept the modern along with the traditional ways of quilting and not be dried up in a rut of it's always been this way.