Old 03-08-2012, 12:31 PM
bethboerne

I see this thread is over two years old so I hope someone sees my reply. I'm having the exact same problem that Rachelcb80 had. The needle goes up and down but the top thread doesn't catch in the bobbin. It'll stitch along just fine and then start skipping and it won't stop if I try to keep going with the intention of coming back to fix the stitches. I have a practice sandwich of the same fabrics, same batting, same spray basting, same thread, same settings, and it works fine. I notice on the quilt that the bobbin stitches are very long on the back. I've tightened up the top tension (to 5) and when it's stitching fine, the back looks good. But then the bobbin stitches get really long and next thing I know I've got an inch of loose thread on the top. I'm on the verge of throwing the whole darn quilt away - and it was a bear to sew as I appliqued on over 100 circles and it represents a huge investment of time. But the quilting is looking so bad at this point that I'm embarrassed to give it to my friend. I mean it's so bad that I'm thinking about putting it on my dog's bed. And that's bad. I've used my Aurora 440QE for 4 years and have experienced this problem several times, but it would stop doing it. I've changed the thread (using top quality threads), changed the needle, tried a different bobbin, rethread the top and bottom, cleaned it - but it simply will not cooperate on this particular quilt. This doesn't happen when I use the walking foot - just the BSR. It happens whether I'm using BSR1 or BSR2. Suggestions?