View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 04:58 PM
lovequilts722

Default I want a new sewing machine...

First off, I just want to apologize for the length of this post!

When will this obsession end!? LOL Before I really started quilting, I got a cheapy Singer sewing machine on a Black Friday deal not even 6 months ago. It was $60! My thought process was "I may not even like sewing / quilting so why spend a lot on a machine." Plus, I had NO idea that machines could be so outrageously expensive! Okay, fast forward to today and I am just obsessed with getting a better machine. My problem is that I don't really have a lot of cash. I'm supposed to get a tax refund next week (good Lord willing and the creek don't rise)... and I have set aside up to $500 for a machine.

Here are some of my initial thoughts...

I have a Singer... it is cheap but I feel like it sews okay. However, the thread breaks a lot, the underside stitches get gnarled up and black looking at times, and I have a really hard time threading the needle. Not sure how it will do long term and I know I can't do FMQ on it.

My aunt has a Janome. Not sure of the model but she said she paid $129 for it new from Hancock Fabrics. She seems to always have trouble with the thread breaking and it getting 'locked up'. It could just be the cheaper thread she uses though.

Some things I'd like a new machine to have:

Ability to SITD and FMQ and of course do piecing
Automatic Needle Threader is a must! I spend several minutes trying to thread the needle sometimes!
Drop Feed Dogs
Comes with feet needed to do FMQ and SITD and a 1/4 inch foot.
Decently large harp
Drop In Bobbin
Thread Cutter

Some more thoughts.... I know some recommend a Vintage machine. I guess I'm just not "there" yet in my quilting evolution. I want something new or almost new. I am drawn to the Baby Lock machines but not sure why. LOL Also, I know some don't think highly of the Bernina Bernette, but they have a model 92C at Hancock for $300. It seems like a good deal for what you get, but I don't want a machine that I'm always having to take to the shop. Lastly... I live in a rather small city. We DO have a Viking dealer here and Hancock's is the only other place that sells and services machines. Do they even MAKE a Viking under $500? LOL To try out other brands, I would have to drive 60-80 miles. Just not sure I want to have to drive that far to take a machine to be serviced / repaired, etc.
I feel like picking a sewing machine is a lot like picking out a car. I got a used Toyota Camry Base Model. It's a great car.... very utilitarian, but it gets me from point A to point B without fail, every time. I never have to worry when I get in the car if it's going to get me there. THat's sort of what I want in a machine. LOL

THANKS so much for reading!! I will take any and all suggestions to heart.

Candace