Old 03-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Dina

Default Can my swollen pinky finger be because of quilting?

I have been battling a swollen pinky finger that sometimes itches for three weeks. It was finally getting better, and then I pinned a large quilt top, and it started up again. This is the pinky finger on my right hand, the hand that does all the work. I think I just dragged it all over the pins as I stuck them in the fabric and as I closed them, even though I have a Kwip Klip tool that helps me close and open the pins.

Then I remembered that 3 weeks ago, when the finger started bothering, I hand basted the binding on the quilt before this one, which means that about four days before that I put pins in a quilt.

I am wondering if there is some sort of a "quilter's finger" that anyone else gets from quilting? I sort of think I might be better off without this little finger (not that I want to get rid of it, mind you), as I think I just drag it all over everything and that irritates it somehow.

Does anyone else have something like this, or do I need to explore other things I do? Soaking it in warm water with Epson Salts and using anti-itch ointment had almost "cured" it until I put all those pins in this quilt yesterday.

Ideas? I am all ears. Thanks... Maybe there is no relationship at all??

Dina