View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Katmom

Default Retayne and synthrapol

I first got into quilting via by wanting to sew gain father a 25+ year break. Was punning on making clothes so was used to per-washing my fabrics before making anything. Was surprised by # of people ho did not prewash. I have "soaked" a lot of my fabrics in retune and very hot water -- until they rinsed clear in running water. Then I would wash in machine on hot or warm with synthrapol which is a surfactant that removes dye from the water, similar tothe color catchers now. Have gotten lazy with current purchases since so many good quilters I know do not prewash but if it is red, black, brown or dark blue (especially a batik) I would prewash first. Someone who was buying some Hoffman batiks at the LQS was discussing this with my friend and myself. She gives recipient of the quilt a few Shout color catchers with quilt and washing instructions.

I think I will piece my recent batik jelly rolls first then either soak in retayne (probably in not so Hoyt water) and dry thenpress or quilt first then wash dry and possibly press to get any possible dye out of the quilt before giving away if a gift.

Soaking and per washing the Hoffmann strips would be a real pain -- they are not pinked and Bali pop pkgs even state they may not be even as they are hand cut!