Old 03-10-2012, 01:59 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MistyK View Post
I have been using a machine owned by a lady in a church group. She has another machine that she said she would sell to me cheap but it has a problem. We looked at it and what she tells me and what I am observing is that the machine threads, the bobbin is in correctly but when you lower the needle it doesn't catch the bobbin thread. It seems to be hanging on a spot in the part that the bobbin case sets in. In other words, the bobbin isn't catching but the part of the bobbin carrier that isn't removable is catching, hanging and breaking the thread. I hope this is making sense. So when the needle thread hangs in that area, it breaks. Could this be a tension adjustment problem. I watched Muv's video but it didn't seem to address the problem. Should I suggest that she take it to be repaired? The machine seems to work well other than the thread hanging. Oh, I don't know if it is hanging at the very same spot everytime.
Is the machine a Singer Featherweight or a Singer 301? If so you have to have the bobbin holder in the notch below the feed plate in line. If not, it may be the timing is out but I sure would want to check other things first. If you search through Cathy's profile, then go to her 'recently posted' you will find excellent instructions how to do timing. I have done it with no instructions - just trial and error. Instructions are a whole lot of help. Once you see how, you will smack yourself on the forehead and go 'that was easy'

Last edited by miriam; 03-10-2012 at 02:15 AM.