View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 02:03 AM
patricej
Administrator

A few suggested techniques to quilt-as-you-go. there are other ways, too. whole books on the subject. this is free. ;-)

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting/article/0,1789,HGTV_3298_1507325,00.html

BASTING
A slip stitch is just standard, garden variety hand stitching. Something you might use to make a quick mend without even thinking about it. To be honest, it wouldn't be the stitch I'd use to close seams on a quilt. I'd use the same technique I use to applique. The idea is to make it all as invisible as possible. (There is a way to do it so your stitches don't show at all, but I could only show you. I don't know how to describe it in under 17 pages. LOL)

I've seen at least 4 different basting methods:

(1) after you've made your quilt sandwich, use large, straight, running stitches to hold everything together while you do the formal quilting. contrasting color thread is best. you'll remove it as you quilt or when you're done, so you want to be able to see it easily. rows, column, diagonal, random; doesn't really matter as long as you smooth your sandwich as you go. it's a great way to use up that thread you wish you hadn't bought.

(2) "baste" with nice, long straight pins. best to use the kind with a ball on the end. they're easier to see and to pull out as you go while doing the actual quilting. if you're going to quilt "in the ditch", put the pins in across the seams. holds everything nice and flat while you're machine stitching. if you put lots of pins, about an inch apart, you don't need a walking foot. (of course, you do need to have a bucket of pins. one box won't go very far.) the down sides to straight-pin basting: (1) you must be very careful when you roll it all up or fold it. the pins can catch on the fabric and on each other. (2) be careful not to stab yourself as you go. (3) you may be very tempted to sew over the pins because you won't want to slow down or break your rythym. if you decide to sew over GO SLOWLY - NO MORE THAN MEDIUM SPEED, keep a supply of machine needles right beside the machine and wear glasses or goggles. sooner or later, you're going to hit a pin, and break a needle and/or pin. the goggles will protect your eyes from flying points. sometimes, when you hit a pin, the needle won't break but the bin will get all bent and jammed into the machine. you have quite a bit of fun getting the quilt out without tearing it, then digging the needle out with pliers without damaging the machine. (don't ask me how i know these things. i'd hate to have to lie to a new friend. LOL)

(3) same as #2, but with safety pins. some people close the pins, some leave them open. the bigger the pins, the better. all the safety rules for straight pins still apply.

(4) have you ever seen a Buttoneer? it's like a miniature nail gun that pokes plastic bits through the button and fabric to hold the buttons in place. huge hit in the 70s. faster yes ... but kinda tacky. (hmmm ... just like the whole decade. LOL) they've taken that same little gizmo, renamed it a basting gun, raised the price because it's now a boutique tool for quilters, and moved it to the quilting section of the craft department. they sell these little gridded racks to slide under the sandwhich to hold it up off the floor or table while you "nail". ok, i guess, but i'd worry about everything getting stretched out of shape. i'd probably hold my hand underneath to keep it all smooth as i went (and to save the cost of the extra gizmo.) if you're going to machine quilt, put the "nails" where you know you won't need to stitch. then you can safely leave them in until you're done. you can cut them off easily with regular scissors. i haven't tried it yet because i can't find my Butoneer and haven't gotten around buying a new one. it looks as though it might be the quickest method of the 4, and the easiest on your hands, neck and back. the only drawback i can see to this method is the recurring cost of buying the little plastic "nails".

the whole point of basting is to hold things together and maintain the shape so it doesn't get all out of whack while you do the final quilting. So, no matter which way you baste, it's best to start in the center of the quilt and work your way out. smooth and pat as you go to avoid stretching it all out of shape. (don't ask me where I start. i'd just have to fib. LOL)

Keep coming back to this thread. Many more wonderful suggestions for QAYG and for basting are sure to follow. Most will not go on and on and on like this one did. :shock:

The ladies here have a wealth of tips and lessons learned to share with you. (No, Tim ... I didn't forget you. I was just about to say that you always have something clever and innovative to contribute, too. ;-) )