Old 03-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

The Pfaff Grand Quilter has only a 9" harp size. This becomes a major limitation for quilting. Midarm machines go up to 13", longarm machines typically are 18 to 22 inches or so. The problem with a 9" harp is that you run out of space to roll the quilt very quickly. Even if you can do a larger pattern at the beginning of the quilt, by the end you have only a few inches of space to quilt in. Many quilters quickly outgrow the 9" limitations and want to move up in size.

Personally, I would not call this a longarm setup, and I would want to see it priced at about half retail. At $4300 it seems over-priced to me. At half retail, it would be an okay setup for a beginning quilter, not a great one. The QBot might or might not make the setup worth purchasing. There are pros and cons to using a computerized sewing system.

For more information, you may want to join the homequiltingsystems group on groups.yahoo.com . This is a very active group of frame quilters with all different kinds of setups. In general, they advise doing extensive research for a year before purchasing a system because there are so many options available, including price.

Last edited by Prism99; 03-10-2012 at 11:43 AM.