View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 07:55 AM
katier825

Originally Posted by sash
Thanks for your responses. I do have the Lucky Stars pattern, and that is one that I was thinking about making too, but it calls for 6 1/4 yds background fabric and I wasn't sure about what I could use for that. It is a pretty pattern though. Thanks for reminding me how pretty it is. May just have to break down and buy some more fabric.
If you have a lot of scraps in a similar color, you could use a different one on each block and it would still look nice. I'm not big on solids, but I just bought my first piece of Kona muslin and I love it! It feels very silky like the more expensive calicos. It's another option. Of course you could also check out some of the places online. I bought batik backing for one that was only $3.95/yd. It is worth checking out a few places especially if you need that much of one color.

I collected batik FQs for a couple of years before I finally started working on my first lucky stars quilt. That one is not finished yet (42 squares) because I keep putting it aside for gifts and quicker projects. I have made it with 9 blocks, 12 blocks and 20 blocks. The 42 block will be huge! What I like about the pattern is that the square works up bigger than needed, then you trim them all down to 9.5" It sure makes it easier to assemble when they start out all the same! :)