View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 02:16 PM
EllieGirl

Originally Posted by fritzster1 View Post
Hello, I am new to the quilting board and will tell you a little about myself through a story.

I was the baby of the family, was the last to leave home and was a little bit of a rebel.
As I made my way in the world, I made a vow that I would NEVER be like my mother!

Fast forward to me turning 40 and taking my first quilting class.
As I started down the Quilting path, I found I had more in common with my mother.

Now that I am past 50, I realize I am just like my mother except she does beautiful hand piecing that I don't seem to have time for.

Thanks for letting me share.
You sound like me. My mother and I haven't had the best relationship and I always said I wouldn't be like her. My mother was a very talented seamstress, and was a dressmaker working from home. I'm the youngest of three too and it was practically a requirement that we all learn to sew. I sewed when I was first married and the kids were younger but just didn't have time and stopped. Almost two years ago I took a quilting class and have been working on quilting since. My mother has never put a quilt together but several years ago she started making quilt tops at her church,
hand quilting the tops.

I feel like I got my sewing ability from my mom, but I don't think I'll ever be as good as she was. She told me not too long ago that she never had problems reading a pattern. I certainly don't have that gift!! lol