Old 03-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Cre8tvlwyr

First - I tried to resize my pics so we will see how that works!! This is my tutorial for A2 since I didn't like the way thatquilt.com set it up. First you should make 4 half-square triangles [HST]. The finished HSTs in the center of the block are 1 1/16" So I added 7/8" and just went ahead and cut two 2" squares of light and dark fabrics, marked the diagonal and sewed 1/4" on either side. Then I pressed seams open and cut them down to measure just over 1 1/2". Following the photo of the original square I made a four patch.

Step two: I cut a 2 3/8" square of my print and cut it diagonally twice making four triangles
out of my background I cut 4 strips 3" x 1 1/8"

I pinched the center of my background strip at 1 1/2" and lined that up with the point of the triangle and sewed a 1/4" on the opposite side. Once I pressed the resulting triangle, I trimmed the light background to 3/4" from the seam [since the strip should finish a 'generous' 1/2"] I lined up that same 'pinched middle' with the seams joining my HSTs and attached the stripped triangles to the four patch center using a 1/4"seam.

Once all four sides were on I checked to make sure the piece measured 3 1/2" which you can see in the photo.

Step three: I cut a 2 3/4" square of my print and cut it diagonally twice to make the four outermost triangles.
out of background I cut 1 1/4" strips --I SUGGEST CUTTING THEM 1 1/2" so that you are sure to have the full 5" unfinished block as I was a few threads shy this will keep you from being frustrated later!!

You must make 45-degree cuts at one end of each piece of strip so that they can butt up against the triangle. The shorter side [bottom - facing the center of square] should be 1 1/2" each for the first side you sew the strip against. In 'log cabin fashion' the next two sides you will be attaching will only have one piece that measures 1 1/2" on the short side, the other should measure at least 2 1/2". The final strip should have both ends measure 2 1/2" ....please note that the 'long side' will be roughly an inch longer because of the diagonal cut.

You need to be aware of matching the points of all triangles... I had to do a little reverse sewing, but all in all I think this is much easier than the instruction given at the website. Hopefully the photos will make it easier to understand!! Unfortunately I was able to make notations above or below separate pictures at the old site but havent figured it out here yet.

Have fun!!
Attached Thumbnails a2a.jpg   a2b.jpg   a2c.jpg   a2d.jpg   a2e.jpg  

a2f.jpg   a2g.jpg