Old 03-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Highmtn

Question Making a quilt from thrift store wool suits.

I've been collecting wool for a few years now and I'm taking the plunge. I'm going to start assembling/cutting wool for a 100% wool quilt (full size bed). I've hit a few good sales at thrift stores and have managed to get a group of wool suits ready to disassemble. I've also learned you get better sections of useable wool from a pair of slacks then a jacket. I wish I had known that before I got so many jackets, but I'll need more for sure. I'll only purchase wool slacks from now on.

So... I'm asking for TIPS/TRICKS/IDEAS from those of you who've worked with wool before. I've not done any wool projects of any kind. I have been warned to "KISS" it (Keep It Simple Sweetie). No elaborate blocks or the wool bulk overwhelms the seam intersections. I've Google "wool quilts" and most of them are primitive and/or quaint looking - I'm okay with that. I've been told by a local gal who loves to do felted wool projects to wash and dry the wool prior to cutting or it will be a quilt that has to be dry cleaned. So I'm going to wash it and back it with a veeeeeery light interfacing. She told me wool tends to ravel easily so this feather light interfacing is supposed to keep the edges from misbehaving, but... I still want to really pick people's brains who've made 100% wool quilts.

I'm at a complete loss of what to use for the backing and binding. I'm not sure this is a great idea, but I've also saved the leather braided cuff buttons to use as decorations around the edges of the quilt.

I hope some of you can toss me a few great ideas and tips to ease me into this project.

Thanks in advance!