View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 05:14 AM
KathyC9511

Default Hand Quilting Question

Well, with all the quilting I have been doing lately, I have decided to teach myself to hand quilt. Have gone to You Tube and watched many, many hand quilting episodes. Got a 14" hoop and a friend gave me some Colonial #10 quilting/between needles.

Now comes the thimble issue. I have long fingernails. I went to Joanns yesterday and purchased two thimbles. One is the Nimble soft thimble black leather with a slit for fingernails. The other is the Dritz plastic adjustable thimble. The black thimble does not have the dimples in the tip. The Dritz does. I know that quilters use it on the middle or index finger. I am left handed and have found that the Dritz works well on my left index finger. It is adjustable but because it is plastic is not as fitting as I would like it to be. My stitches are looking good. I would prefer to get closer stitches and more per inch. Would a different needle size (one that is longer) help with this issue? Has anyone seen the Thimblelady video? She uses LONG needles and gets very tiny stitches. I have no idea what type needles she uses, she does not say in the video.

I need advise on a better thimble and quilting needles. We have one quilt shop in Cypress that sells the John James needles and thimbles. I will probably go there tomorrow to check them out after hearing back from anyone on the QB who can help me.

Thanks again for your help!