View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 10:53 AM
clsurz

I was just looking at the alphabet in CAPS to see which letters can be used to create puzzle quilts and have a never ending supply of new puzzle quilts to make by rotating or inverting it them.

I decided to look at the Latin alphabet to see which letters vaguel resemble letters that can be rotated or mirrored to create many puzzle quilts with never ending possibilities.

I found that these letters L, N, I, P, F, Y, T, U, V, W, and Z can be mirrored or rotated to create an endless supply of squares and rectangles to create puzzles.

Now I am going to have fun. I bought myself a 3 ring binder yesterday with a grid tablet and lined tablet to experiment with so I hope to have fun this month with it and see what I can come up with.

As I was sitting here thinking on this I remembered that last fall I had purchased from AccuCut to use in my Accuquilt Studio some math sets to do just that, create puzzles. I went about trying to find it and took a while because they were not moved into my cutting room like I had asked my son to do the other month. I have sitting here four different Pentominoes Sets to play with. I simply forgot I had them until now. For those of you who may wonder what a Pentominoes is, a pentomino is a polyomino composed of five congruent squares connected along their edges.

I think what I will do is use these Pentominoes dies to cut various colors in cardstock first to create templates and start manipulating it onto my grid paper to see what type blocks I can create with it. Since I have a wide format printer up to 13 x 19 I'll have enough wiggle room to create at least 12 by 18 inch blocks or smaller. My using colored paper will save m from using so much ink and process it all using black ink. If I'm not mistaken somewhere in this house I still have even patterned paper I use to use when I did papercrafting so might as well use that up and create templates to design and create a multitude of puzzle quilts.