Old 03-12-2012, 12:43 PM
ckcowl
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
@ Highmtn, love your Boxer. I was thinking you should wash the suits before you cut apart, less unraveling????
i've been working with recycled wools for many many years and have tried many techniques---it really is much easier---better to (de-construct) before washing- you need to remove all of the linings/interfacings-if you wash first all kinds of *stuff*(lint, grit, stuff) is still there after washing then when you do take them apart & you have to rewash them- it saves steps to remove all buttons, zippers, interfacings, linings-then wash= it also helps get rid of creases in the wools-that may stay if still constructed. i simply cut all of the seams right off- and toss the pieces into a mesh bag if they are small- toss them into the washer as is if they are fairly large-

oh and the ones that you washed in warm water----cut a (snippet) off a corner- if it doesn't fray you do not need to rewash- the hot dryer was enough---agitation - small amount of detergent- cold rinse & hot dryer usually does enough- using hot water speeds up the process some. i actually (generally heat water in my tea kettle & add it a number of times- restarting the agitation over & over and wash my wools for about 30-45 minutes- then cold rinse & into the dryer---experiment as you become more comfortable with working with your wools & you will find what works for you-giving you the exact feeling wools you want to work with---you can also put a number of different tweeds, weaves of wools and (over dye them) to make a (color family)