View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Bicycle Hobo

Originally Posted by mamabearme View Post
I'm shopping for a new machine, and have narrowed it down to 3. All of them are a huge step up from the Wal-Mart Brother I've had for 15 years.

So, can you tell me which one you'd pick, and why? Thanks in advance.

The choices are:
Janome Horizon Memory Craft 2700 QCP
Elna eXcellence 740
Husqvarna Viking Tribute 140C
One of the first, and most valuable, lessons about sewing machines is.....the simplest models are the best ones for 99% of sewing requirements. I use most of the time a straight stitch and the rest of the time, a zig zag stitch. The rest are just unwanted decorations & extra unneeded cost (except for the buttonhole option when doing certain dressmaking/tailoring tasks-and that is very rarely needed). All my 3 machines are mechanical, with the minimal amount of stitches that were available at the time of purchase. And you know what? It is the skill of fabric knowledge, pattern manipulation, and of course a very dependable, well built, balanced stitch, sews most thicknesses of fabrics, sewing machine that will not die in the middle of a project is the most important "feature" of all. That is the real secret of my successful completion of the 2 quilts, the large rear bike panniers (the blue ones with the cat inside), and the little front bike bag adaptation pictured below. They were sewn by my little 3/4 size Janome Hello Kitty Model 11706 sewing machine. It is on sale at Target right now for just 100 dollars!

Though to make the above choice, I would go for the Janome Horizon Memory Craft 2700 QCP.
Attached Thumbnails 6894043171_5bf196434f.jpg   6541622711_73c1006cd7.jpg   6541608009_d759c6c69b.jpg  

Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 03-12-2012 at 08:26 PM.