View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 06:38 PM
amma
Power Poster

These are quilt blocks that my best friend gave me!!! I did not press them before the picture as they have been stored for around 85 years, so they are right out of the box they were kept in.

The block on top and the partial block were hand sewn by her great-great-Granny Wicky.....she was amazing!!! Coming out to the West in the early 1880's, in a covered wagon at age 4, she jumped off the back of the wagon and a rifle was tipped over and it shot her in her right hand...she had very little use of the remaining hand/fingers but she did not let that stop her from doing anything, including hand sewing with it!!!

The other blocks were made by her great-grandmother (Nana) and were sewn on her first treadle machine.... We believe that these were made around 1925 as a mother/daughter project shortly after Nana was married.

I am going to carefully hand wash 4 of them and make wall hangings for her, her two children and myself. Her Nana was MY Nana too...so it will be awesome to have a quilt on my wall that commemorates her!!! Her children will get the other two that Nana made as they have wonderful memories of her too, and my friend will get the one that Granny Wicki hand sewed :D :D :D

The 5th block has what appears to be oil stains on it, so I will wash it but will probably just store it and the partial block as a momento......

Approx 80 year old quilt blocks, the block at the top and the partial block are hand sewn, the others were sewn on a treadle machine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]10890[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-46973.jpe