Old 03-13-2012, 07:53 AM
kathyjg

Default I wasn't sure it was meant for me to be a quilter!

Well this newbie has done it!! I have FINALLY finished my first quilt, I didn't think I would ever see the day!! I just finished an 80x80 rag quilts for a dear friend who is moving back to Ca. I have been collecting flannel for quite a while so that I could make rag quilts for our 10 g-kids and was really excited to use my first attempt for such a dear friend who has always been there with a smile on her face during my darkest days after having to retire due to a disability. What a trip--designing a pattern using the different materials was easy, but then when I started to cut it out, things seemed to be telling me I should put it away. First thing I did when I started to cut it out was to take my rotary cutter out of the pkg and immediately cut my finger. Yes, I knew they were super sharp but my hands shake and sometimes I have no control of where they go, got it all cut out and followed the directions to a T and have figured out that there are a couple of steps that I won't use again. Sewing it together was also easy--even all of my corners fit like they should. Then I started cutting the fringe--bought fringe cutters but found my fabric scissors worked better. The fringe was a stop and go thing because those 'darn itis brothers', the ones that seem to decide to live in our joints were raising s fit both in my hands and shoulders. Both days that I figured I would have it finished in the afternoon, I ended up going to the hospital--ER, the 1st time with my daughter and the second was ER again with my gg-daughter who is expecting a baby is 3 weeks and had fallen. I finally finished last night, of course my friend left the day before--this morning I was going to take a pic to show all of you and the darn camera isn't working! Oh, well--next time, yes I have decided to continue and maybe one of these days I will no longer be a newbie. I spent this AM cutting out a quilt for the new baby!