Old 03-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Lori S

It seems you have more than one issue at play . Change of any kind will be tough , as they all have their "rolls" and "tradition" keeps them intrenched in those rolls. Particpating in preparing Church suppers are just as intrenched. It sounds like the "leader" has some issues with you even questioning the traditions of the past. My advise is if you stand solo on this issue , it will be "you" are the issue. Try to gather some informal support for your concerns, before bringing it up in a formal setting. Speak to some of the other members in a casual way and see if you can't get some support so you do not stand solo. If you can get some informal concensous then ask them how to proceed so it can be put into action. Getting the support of some long standing members will go far in effecting any kind of change.
I do wish you luck .. having some experience with these kinds of groups ... I know how hard it can be. It like they let you in because it the "charitible" thing to do ... but there is an expectation that you should keep quite and just sew.
Getting them sold on the idea of using "our best first" is one that many in that age group have a tough time with in their own homes. I was raised in a "save it for good" type home and the "right or best" occasion just never presented itself. That thinking or conditioning can be really hard to break.
You have my profound empathy.