Old 03-14-2012, 09:46 AM
nancylee

Hi,
I am a new sewer and quilter, and until I went to a LQS, I used batiks because they felt good. I never realized that other stores had fabrics that looked and felt so good. I do have to disagree, though, and say Amy Butler and Kate Spain have wonderful colors and feel to their fabrics. I don't yet know how they wear, but they sure feel like they are of good quality.

Nancy

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
yes you would think...HOWEVER, look who is sewing these days....most of the NEW comers to sewing are the tweens to early 30's and those groups never had a sewing class in their lives! They do not know crepe from cotton....they buy with their eyes, and by NAMES...like Amy Butler, etc. The makers of fabric know this! They specifically target those age groups. You know the NEW mom's making GOOD toys, clothes, etc for the precious babies. Quality of fabric is NOT part of the plan, just being hip and stylish is all they really care about. Same with the newer quilters. Just slap some fabric together, call it a "quilt" and move on to the nursing pillow! Without anyone teaching them to understand fabric quality, how to look for flaws, how to know if it was printed on grain, etc, the fabric makers are sitting back and laughing! They are now selling lower quality goods, often not even worthy of being called a 2nd, and WE keep buying it! The LQS owners are NOT to blame. Boycott or protest with the makers! THough their hands are tied with China now hoarding 90% of the world's cotton inventory!