Old 03-15-2012, 05:55 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom View Post
Nancy, the person I got a 31-15 from last week had used it to sew leather as well as upholstery. He even demonstrated on leather for me. The machine I have is set up with a 1/4 horsepower engine, and speeds through whatever... The machine has been serviced, so I do not need to do that. But the surface has a lot of grime, and the table it is in needs some work. I would like to treadle it. Are the irons on yours similar to irons on a non-industrial machine?
Thank you Quiltmom, I am a little more excited after reading your post and doing some research. One of my machines is a 31-20 from 1925, the other one just says Singer and has the #2 etched on it - the serial number is completely rubbed off. The cabinet is in rough shape, but with a little light sanding, staining and finishing it will look great. I am excited about them, but haven't had time to do anything with them as California is going through a flu epidemic right now and DH is very sick - and grouchy! I will post pictures as soon as I can!

Yup, the irons are similar, but bigger I think. At least the whole table is wider. The problem is the treadle is missing the belt wheel, which is a bummer because I wanted to clean up this machine and set it up in my little shop in the cargo unit as a treadle! I was really excited to find out the 31 drops its feed dogs too! I need to order needles - I think size 16X87?

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 03-15-2012 at 06:00 AM.