View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 08:39 AM
IAmCatOwned

'Quilt as Desired" was always the standard. Quiltmaker changed that. That editor always included an idea for quilting. If I need a quilt in a hurry, I meander quilt. I also have drawn out about 5 quilting designs for 'emergency' child quilts.

It's tough to stray from the pattern follower path. I know. I'm a pattern follower. However, you have to realize that most of those magazine/book quilts are computer quilted. Once you convince yourself of that, it's easier to start looking at stuff that YOU can do.

You are a new quilter. It's going to take you a bit of time to figure out if you have a style or preference because you haven't seen enough quilting examples that YOU can do. Quiltmaker Mag was always a good choice for a beginner. They used to have a whole library online, but they put those into their books/disks. They do have a new one every month though. I save it every month and stick in a file. I've used 3 of them now. I noticed that they now have digital issues - that is certainly an option for you - cheaper than mailing you copies (not even sure that they mail outside of US and Canada).

Figuring out what to use on a quilt is as much personality as exposure to different types of quilting. I just discovered McTavishing and I think that is fabulous for wall quilts. Maybe not so good for a bed quilt (all that tight quilting flattens the batting).

Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 03-15-2012 at 08:52 AM.