Old 03-15-2012, 10:26 AM
jljack

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
The long, thin, really nice screw driver was one an old sewing machine repair man gave me. He ground it at a slight angle. It worked wonderfully. Someone broke in a couple years ago and stole all my bright orange sewing machine repair tool box with a bunch of parts and tools - the parts and that screw driver made me the mad. You can't use that stuff on anything else. I have a screw driver that would be good to grind at a slight angle but no grinder. I should find a grinder, I guess. A straight screw driver just does not work the same as that one on the angle. Oh and I got much better tools after that. DH took me seriously and helped me get some better tools. I had been using cast off tools before that. Good tools do make a difference. We should start something on tools. Maybe when I get a screw driver ground at an angle. You almost do need a torque wrench or Locktite to get those screws tight enough that they won't come undone while you sew Misty. If those feed dogs come flying off while you are sewing and you don't catch on it can be pretty interesting. Ask me how I know............. Try a little heat - blow dryer, rice sock, sun, car on a hot day... Put the machine on its side then try soaking with liquid wrench, turn it over and do it again.
A tool that works for me is a double ended screw driver, bent at a 90 deg angle on each end, two different sized blades, and my DH ground one down thinner so I could use it on smaller screws. It doesn't do them all, but when the space is small to get into, the horizontal orientation of the handle is great!! I'll take a picture of it and put it up here...but it won't be tonite. It really works well, though...I thought we were quite brilliant to think of it!!