View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 12:22 PM
mpspeedy

I am on my second serger. The first was a Bernina one and it was harder to thread. The problem being if one of the threads broke or ran out you had to start from scratch on all four. I traded it in on a more advanced Bernina several years ago and the rest is history. I make at least 20 Linus quilts a month and I make them pillowcase style. I sew the top, back and batting together with the wrong sides out with the serger and then turn the pillowcase like sandwhich right side out and machine quilt it. The serger assures me a neat even small seam all around the inside of the quilt. It is also great for garmet sewing and a necessity for knits. If you are working with a material that ravels excessively running a row of serger stitches around it will solve that problem. The only drawback is that if you use it for a seam it cuts off the excess so you can not pick it out and make it larger again. There are a lot of neat things you can do with a serger including making lace. If you take a class or talk with a dealer they can tell you all of the details. I would have a problem sewing without mine.